Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Praising The Never-Failing God


PRAISING THE NEVER-FAILING GOD

"For He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5

Unfortunately, the past few years have taught us that many of the things we tend to rely on in our lives are prone to failure. Banks fail. Auto companies fail. Government agencies fail. Employers fail. Stock markets fail. Housing markets fail. We also know from experience that humans fail. Relationships fail. Spouses fail one another. Parents fail their children. Children fail their parents. But as Christians we know that our God never fails! Listen to what is written in 1 Chronicles 28:20, a father giving assurance to his son. “David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.”

So when fear strikes or tragedy comes unexpectedly or the routine of life becomes overwhelming, what line does our thought take? Does it turn to what God says or to what I fear? Am I learning to say not what God says, but to say something after I have heard what He says? "He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me."

"I will in no wise fail thee" - not for all my sin and selfishness and stubbornness and waywardness. Have I really let God say to me that He will never fail me? If I have listened to this say-so of God's, then let me listen again.

"Neither will I in any wise forsake thee." Sometimes it is not difficulty that makes me think God will forsake me, but drudgery. There is no Hill Difficulty to climb, no vision given, nothing wonderful or beautiful, just the commonplace day in and day out - can I hear God's say-so in these things?

We have the idea that God is going to do some exceptional thing, that He is preparing and fitting us for some extraordinary thing by and bye, but as we go on in grace we find that God is glorifying Himself here and now, in the present minute. If we have God's say-so behind us, the most amazing strength comes, and we learn to sing in the ordinary days and ways.


"He hath said . . . so that we may boldly say . . ." Hebrews 13:5-6

My say-so is to be built on God's say-so. God says - "I will never leave thee," then I can with good courage say - "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear - " I will not be haunted by apprehension. This does not mean that I will not be tempted to fear, but I will remember God's say-so. I will be full of courage, like a child "bucking himself up" to reach the standard his father wants. Faith in many a one falters when the apprehensions come, they forget the meaning of God's say-so, forget to take a deep breath spiritually. The only way to get the dread taken out of us is to listen to God's say-so. What are you dreading? You are not a coward about it, you are going to face it,

But there is a feeling of dread. When there is nothing and no one to help you, say – "But the Lord is my Helper, this second, in my present outlook." Are you learning to say things after listening to God, or are you saying things and trying to make God's word fit in? Get hold of the Father's say-so, and then say with good courage - "I will not fear." It does not matter what evil or wrong may be in the way, He has said - "I will never leave thee."

Frailty is another thing that gets in between God's say-so and ours. When we realize how feeble we are in facing difficulties, the difficulties become like giants, we become like grasshoppers, and God becomes a nonentity. Remember God's say-so - "I will in no wise fail you." Have we learned to sing after hearing God's key-note? Are we always possessed with the courage to say - "The Lord is my helper," or are we succumbing?

Perhaps I can best summarize all that I have been trying to say, and bring this to a close, with the marvelous words of Paul,

"What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all - how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?... No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:31-39).

SCRIPTURES

Take time to reflect on the promises of the following Bible quotes. These
verses emphasize trusting in God to provide for our every need. Trusting God allows us to receive guidance to do what is right for us. When we are filled with faith, fear goes away . . . we can relax . . believing things will turn out right for us. Faith is trusting that God's love is always with us and we are never alone.

"Whosoever trusteth in the Lord, happy is he."
- Proverbs 16:20
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go, I will
counsel you and watch over you.
- Psalm 32:8
______________________________________________________________________

Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage;
be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for the Lord thy
God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
- Joshua 1:9
______________________________________________________________________

Be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead!"

- I Peter 1:6
______________________________________________________________________

Be content with what you have, for God has said, "Never
will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So say with
confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."

- Hebrews 13:5,6
____________________________________________________________________________

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord and has made the
Lord his hope and confidence.
- Jeremiah 17:7
______________________________________________________________________

Cast your cares upon the Lord, for he cares about you.
- I Peter 5:7
______________________________________________________________________

My soul finds rest in God alone: My salvation comes from Him.
- Psalms 62:1 _______________________________________________________________________

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never
come to an end; they are new every morning. . .
- Lamentations 3:22-23 ____________________________________________________________

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
- Psalms 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment