Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kelly's Thrifty Tips

Photobucket

I thought it might be nice to focus on some thrifty beauty tips today. There area a lot of thrifty ways to get yourself a little beauty treatment.

TEA - I had often used old tea bags to take the puffiness away from my eyes in the morning, but did you know there are more uses?

Defunk the foot - Boil a quart of water and add to it four to five tea bags. Let them steep for about 10 minutes and then remove from the water. Allow the water to cool enough to put your feet in. Soak your feet in the preparation for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, do not rinse just dry off. The tea has tannins in it which have an antibacterial action. I joked that this is a good beauty tip for guys, but honestly I was a waitress for years, and this would have been amazing for me! Remember to put the left over tea bags in the refrigerator to use to de-puff your eyes.

Cooking burn - If you get a light burn when you are cooking, the used tea bags. The tea bags also can be used to draw the painful heat out of minor burns from sunburns to cooking.

For the mouth - The College of Dentistry at the University of Illinois at Chicago has shown that a black tea rinse can help prevent bad breath. There is also some detail about the rinse preventing some plaque growth as well. Read up on it here: Tea Study
Also green tea has been noted to help with gingivitis.

Face refresher - Dilute brewed tea with water to use as a face splash after shaving for me or as a refresher during the day for women.

That is just the tip of the iceberg of what tea can do. The nice thing is you do not have to buy pricey teas to get the benefits. Any brand will do.

TOOTHPASTE - If you are hit by a bad timing pimple (really is there a good time for a pimple?), treat over night with a dab of toothpaste. Note that is toothpaste in its ordinary form not gels or whitening toothpastes. A few people that I know have said they know people who had a rash from this so you may want to do a patch test like you do with hair color. I have never had a problem and I have very sensitive skin, but again I do not use fancy toothpaste for this remedy. Also toothpaste is wonderful for taking the itch out of a mosquito bites!

HAIR CONDITIONER -

Shaving - This is for the ladies. It may work for men, but I wouldn't know. If you need to shave your legs and do not have shaving cream give conditioner a try. It works really well and softens the skin too. This is definitely better than just using bath s0ap. I have also read that in a pinch you can use Vaseline to shave with (legs or face). The only draw back is the Vaseline is not good for the razors.



RANDOM STUFF

HAIR RECIPE - This is the recipe that I talked about this morning. Seriously, I am hypothyroid and one of the horrible side effects is thinning hair. Anyone with a thyroid condition knows what I am talking about. Being a woman, the last thing I care to lose is my hair. My hair was falling out in clumps every time I showered or even ran my fingers through it. It was really thin on the top and just devastating. I started doing research on essential oils and also aroma therapy and essential oil treatments. Some essential oils should not be used if you are pregnant or may get pregnant so read up on each one before using.

The below recipe is what I have used since the end of October. I cannot guarantee that it will work for you, but I have definitely seen results. I am not a doctor, I'm just a person who had hair issues and wanted to do something about it since nothing was changing. I honestly wasn't sure if I would see results, but I figured why not give it a shot? The first thing I noticed was that my hair was not falling out in clumps like it was before (that was by November). In December it seemed like there was less thinning and by January I definitely noticed new hair growth. This is because previously I had my hair at all one length and I now have little spots with about 2 inches of growth and my parts are not embarrassingly bare anymore.

RECIPE:

4 ounces of jojoba oil (I bought a 4 ounce bottle at the healthfood store)
Lavender essential oil (12 drops per ounce)
Cedar wood essential oil (12 drops per ounce)
Rosemary essential oil (12 drops per ounce)

Drop the essential oils into the jojoba oil and shake it up.


To Use:

Apply about 1/2 teaspoon to the scalp and work through your hair (do not saturate your hair). I use it in the evening because you can look a little grubby, but you smell awesome and it is pretty relaxing. I just keep the oil next to my bed. If you have anything left over on your hand after rubbing it into your scalp you can rub it on your elbows.

This recipe will last a long time because you are only using a small amount each evening.

SNACK RECIPE -

Kale Chips - This is the recipe that we were talking about this morning. I was just looking to make a healthy low cal snack. I did not come up with it. I have seen similar recipes in Good Housekeeping and online.

1 bunch of Kale
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of vinegar
sea salt (couple of shakes)
garlic powder (couple of shakes)

Remove the stems from the kale and wash and dry the leaves thoroughly. Tear the leaves into chip sizes and put in a bowl. Add the vinegar and olive oil to the kale and mix by hand until the kale is covered evenly. Shake on some garlic powder or whatever spices you would like and mix well again by hand. Place kale on a cookie sheet that is lightly greased or covered in parchment paper. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and stir. If you notice any crisp pieces, remove them (I usually put them in a bowl). Bake about five minutes and check the chips. Remove anythat are crisp and put the rest back in oven and check again in about 2 minutes. Total baking takes about 15 to 20 minutes all together. The leaves that have more stem in them will take longer. When all your chips are done, sprinkle some sea salt or seasoned salt on them.

The chips are crispiest after they are first baked, but I put mine in a sealable container and snack on them the following day as well.

Now onto some free samples and whatnot.


Sweetner:

Ideal Sweetner is offering a free sample of their zero calorie sweetner.

LINK: Ideal

Burt's Bees is known for their lip balms, lotions and oils. Everything is all natural. They now have a toothpaste, and they are offering free samples now. If you want to go more natural, this is a great way to give it a shot. Link up below:

LINK: Burt's Bees Natural Toothpaste Sample


I don't have a dog, but if I did, I would definitely sign up for Walmart's free sample of Beneful IncrediBites. One of the things that is great about a pet food sample is if you ever have one of those days where you realize you are out of pet food, you still have that sample to fall back on while you get off to the store.

LINK: Beneful IncrediBites

Get in on some Emergen-C samples by checking out their Mix-it-Up site where you can get some recipes but more importantly some free samples. I love this stuff!

LINK: Emergen-C


Coupons - If you buy $50 in Proctor and Gamble products you can send in for $100 in coupons. This is a deal that is going on until April 15th so there is plenty of time to pile up the purchases. Truly you do not want to pass up on items like this. You would be surprised at how these coupons can come in handy. Get more details at the link below.

LINK: P&G buy $50 get $100 in coupon savings.


Hallmark Cards for Encouraging Kids - I don't know if you have caught the commercials, but Hallmark has a new line of cards just for kids. You can pick up one of these cards for free (doesn't include tax) while supplies last. Check the link below for details:

LINK: Free Hallmark Card for Kids



ACTIVITIES

This Saturday, March 6th, Home Depot Kids Workshops will be teaching the kids to make a rain gauge! This is an awesome activity that I can't imagine not taking advantage of. Workshops run from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm.


Lowe's Build and Grow Clinics have two great activities this month as well.

March 13th, your kids can build a table top basketball game and on March 27th they can build a homemade Kaleidoscope. Check out the link to sign up!






LINK: Loew's Build and Grow Clinics


Sales

Safeway --

Rancher's Reserve boneless beef bottom round roast $1.88 a pound
Boneless skinless chicken breast $1.69 a pound
5 pound bag of russet potatoes 68 cents

Albertons --

Buy 1 get 2 free petite sirloin steaks (about $2.33 a pound)
Huge 10 for $10 sale
--Hunts diced tomatoes
--Wishbone salad dressing
--Oscar Mayer 12 ounce bologna or Cotto salami

Fry's --

Boneless skinless chicken breast frozen $1.49 a pound for 3 pound bags
Quaker Oats 42 ounce 2 for $5.00
Betty Crocker Super Moist cake mix 99 cents

Don't forget to load up your cellfire coupons too, because there are a bunch of coupons that correspond to this week's sales at Frys! Be sure to load up from shortcuts.com too!



No comments:

Post a Comment