Wednesday, March 17, 2010

DID WE MISS THE POINT ABOUT HOW TO LIVE FOR GOD?

Photobucket



DID WE MISS THE POINT ABOUT HOW TO LIVE FOR GOD?

5I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in Me and I in him bears much (abundant) fruit. However, apart from Me [cut off from vital union with Me] you can do nothing.

It took me a long to time realize that these words Jesus spoke in John 15:5 also applies to all areas of the Christian Life. I used to believe that if a person had a strong enough willpower, they could be successful at whatever they set their mind to accomplish. But the wall I kept banging into was the fact that, while some people seemed well equipped to stick to their decisions, alas, I wasn’t one of them.

The moment I said I was going to do this for the Lord that’s when my energy started to drain. It was just a matter of time before my ability proved to be insufficient.
For years I lamented that I did not have a strong enough self-will. I felt cheated and at a disadvantage. Was I, from the beginning, destined to fail, just because I didn’t have the ability to stick to it? Were other people destined to succeed, all because they had a stronger willpower than I did?

But I realized it was folly to think that. God is not a respecter of persons and He did not give some an edge to succeed while others are destined to be less successful. Through Christ, He has given us the power to be over-comers in every area of our lives, and that power is the Holy Spirit of Christ that lives in each of us as Christians.

Over a period of time, the Lord helped me see that it wasn’t about me trying harder or being stronger-willed; it was about recognizing the absolute truth that there is nothing I can do without Him. It was not a sign of weakness to admit it; rather, admitting it set me free from trying to do this thing by myself. What a relief!

When I’m tempted to revert back to my old thoughts of doing it in my own strength, He’ll remind me. He’s the One that gives me the power to be obedient to all of His commands… every time. Abandon yourself by Faith in Him each day and watch how He will empower you to live this amazing Life known as Christianity!

"We have received . . . the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God." 1 Corinthians 2:12


No comments:

Post a Comment